Burncoat's Rodney Agyare-May went sub 48 to win his second straight 400m title.
More than a dozen Massachusetts' athletes earned victories, and several more turned in solid, national-level performances at Saturday's New England Championship, held at Norwell High.
North Andover's Erick Duffy made it back-to-back titles in the pole vault. Duffy cleared a near record of 16 feet, 4.75 inches to beat his closest competitor by more than a foot. He was also second in the 110-meter hurdles in 14.24 seconds.
Also making it twice as nice was Norton's Brooke-Lynn Williams, who captured the 100m dash in a fast time of 11.94. Williams was also third in the 200m dash where she ran 25.02. That race was won by gifted freshman Emma Gallant of Cheverus (ME) in 24.81.
Sharon's Shira Stoller came less than a foot from a meet record in the girl's javelin where she had a heave of 148-8. Abbie Mokwuah of Longmeadow withstood a stiff challenge from Connecticut's Brittany Jones of Bloomfield to take the shot put with an all-time best of 46-11. Jones settled for second at 46-0.5. Dracut's Erin McMeniman was second with a distance of 139-2. In the girls' high jump, Wellesley's Julia Jordahl-Henry cleared a season best of 5-7 to claim the title.
Old Rochester's Danny Renwick cleared a winning 6-9 in the high jump. In his final tune-up for next weekend's New Balance Nationals, Burncoat's Rodney Agyare-May went sub-48 in the 400m dash, clocking a season best of 47.52. Agyare-May held off Manchester (CT) junior Jevin Frett, who placed second in 47.92.
MA athletes won three of the four events at the long and triple jump pits. Milton's Smith Charles cracked 23 feet in the long jump with a leap of 23-4.5. In the girls' long jump, it was Grafton's Lauren Eddy that was able to secure gold with an 18-1 effort. Foxborough's Shraeya Srinivasan continued her excellence this season in the triple jump with a distance of 40-0.25. It was her second time this spring over 40 feet.
Although she fell short of a victory, Newton South's Clare Martin ran one of the fastest times in the country for the 800m. In a loaded race where the top seven ran a qualifying time for the championship race of next week's nationals, Martin secured second with a PB of 2:07.91 (US #12). Martin did most of the pace-setting in Saturday's race and was passed the last 50m by eventual winner Kristie Schoffield of Merrimack Valley (NH), who was timed in 2:06.90 (US #4).
Lenox Memorial's Shannon Meisberger was a victor in the 300m hurdles in a tight race with Connecticut's Danielle Brinckman of Glastonbury. Meisberger out-leaned her rival and won with a time of 43.41, .03 ahead of Brinckman.
Recent state champion Davonte Burnett broke the tape in a highly-competitive 100m dash where he was timed in 10.48. Donatien Djero of Central was just inches behind at 10.49. Finishing third was defending champion Mark Doyley of Weaver, who crossed the line at 10.53.
Arlington's Ryan Oosting continued his stellar sophomore campaign by capturing the 1,600m. Ooosting, last week's MA mile and two-mile winner, clocked a best of 4:11.93. He was nearly three seconds ahead of second-place finisher, Tyler Marshall of Champlain Valley (VT), who finished at 4:14.62.
In the boys' two mile, Newton North's Andrew Mah dictated the race for much of the eight laps and won with a quality 9:10.36 clocking. Brookline's Lucas Aramburu took runner-up honors at 9:13.09.
Elite performances from this session
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Zaidra James (Bloomfield High School) 14.24; Zaidra James (Bloomfield High School) 14.59; Vickie Milledge (Simsbury High School) 14.47; Vickie Milledge (Simsbury High School) 14.85; Bridget Chiaravalle (Danbury High School) 14.69; Anoush Krafian (Belmont High School) 14.80; Tereza Bolibruch (North Kingstown High School) 14.86;
- 100 Meter Dash - Brooke-lynn Williams (Norton High School) 11.94; Kathryn Kelly (Lauralton Hall High School) 12.11; Brooke-lynn Williams (Norton High School) 12.13; Andraya Yearwood (Cromwell High School) 12.22; Andraya Yearwood (Cromwell High School) 12.17;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Mia Nahom (New Milford High School) 4:52.75; Emily Kane (La Salle Academy) 4:53.33; Randi Burr (Westerly High School) 4:54.52; Katherine Deloreto (Tolland High School) 4:55.02; Rebecca Durham (Milford High School) 4:58.42; Jenna Zydanowicz (William Hall High School) 4:58.44; Sarah Roffman (Unattached ,Ma) 4:58.70; Caroline Barry (Newton South High School) 5:00.83; Britney Johnson (Pinkerton Academy ) 5:02.48; Elizabeth Sullivan (Portsmouth High School) 5:02.73; Hannah Steelman (Orono High School) 5:02.76; Katherine Leggat-Barr (Greely High School) 5:03.24; Lauren Moore (Danbury High School) 5:04.27; Leila Trummel (Hanover HS) 5:07.56; Kate Zitzmann (Barrington High School) 5:09.54; Mary Bibbey (Nonnewaug High School) 5:10.38; Kate Hedlund (Manchester High School) 5:11.88; Bullock Delaney (Independent) 5:13.04;
- 200 Meter Dash - Emma Gallant (Cheverus High School) 24.81; Chelsea Smith (Manchester High School) 24.87;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Shannon Meisberger (Lenox Memorial High School) 43.41; Danielle Brinckman (Glastonbury High School) 43.44; Casey Gannon (Toll Gate High School) 45.22; Sophia Podeszwa (Waterford High School) 45.49; Emma Langis (Ridgefield High School) 45.69; Katya Rojco (Salem Academy) 45.75; Dominique Biron (Bow High School) 45.82; Darcy Cochran (Cape Elizabeth High School) 46.32; Lauren Polimeno (Tewksbury Memorial High School) 46.33; Grace Desmond (Westborough High School) 46.46;
- 3,200 Meter Run - Jacqueline Gaughan (Exeter High School) 10:38.60; Sarah Leatherwood (Fairfield Ludlowe) 10:44.94; Julia Robitaille (Manchester West High School) 10:53.80; Rebekah James (Shepherd Hill Regional High School) 10:58.68; Gabi Galetta (Fairfield Warde) 10:59.70; Kendall Bush (Nashua South High School) 11:01.08; Meredith Bloss (Guilford High School) 11:05.54; Bridgid Selfors (Mercy Cross High School) 11:07.10; Rebecca Durham (Milford High School) 11:13.56; Alex Matsis (Milford High School) 11:13.63;
- 400 Meter Dash - Aisha Gay (Hamden High School) 55.85; Sonia John (Rice Memorial High School) 56.21; Meg Hughes (Old Rochester Regional High School) 56.55; Grace Devanny (Concord High School) 57.07; Laura Murphy (East Greenwich High School) 57.14; Earthaiza Watkins (Stamford High School) 57.14; Lauren Eddy (Grafton High School) 57.22; Chelsea Smith (Manchester High School) 57.54; Avery Leydon (Woburn High School) 57.61; Grace Pettengill (Minnechaug Regional High School) 57.86;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Bloomfield High School 47.86;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Ridgefield High School 3:53.72; Westerly High School 3:54.70;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Glastonbury High School 9:09.23; Ridgefield High School 9:14.84; Franklin High School 9:21.89; Souhegan High School 9:23.39; Portsmouth High School 9:25.99; Woburn High School 9:31.31; Fairfield Ludlowe 9:33.05; Greenwich High School 9:34.13; Boston Latin School 9:34.94; Guilford High School 9:39.44; Mount Greylock Regional High School 9:41.74; Coe Brown Academy 9:42.54; Unattached ,Ma 9:44.62;
- 800 Meter Run - Kristie Schoffield (Merrimack Valley High School) 2:06.90; Clare Martin (Newton South High School) 2:07.91; Nikki Merrill (Portsmouth High School) 2:09.12; Tiara Tardy (Mt. Desert Island High School) 2:09.64; Corinne Kennedy (Lebanon High School) 2:10.29; Izzy Giesing (Oxbow High School) 2:10.59; Rachel Sessa (Tewksbury Memorial High School) 2:10.99; Emily Philippides (Greenwich High School) 2:12.17; Alexandra Alsup (Coginchaug Regional High School) 2:13.51; Marina MacKinnon (Marshfield High School) 2:13.66; Juliana Selser (South Portland High School) 2:14.45; Sara Fragione (Methuen High School) 2:14.73; Emma Connolly (Immaculate High School) 2:17.30; Madeleine Hunt (Souhegan High School) 2:18.29; Kayla Raymond (Bonny Eagle High School) 2:19.43; Lisbeth Valdez (Hope High School) 2:19.83; Leinni Valdez (Hope High School) 2:19.96;
- Discus - Amanda Howe (Southington High School) 144-8; Brittany Jones (Bloomfield High School) 142-1; Adelaide Cooke (Falmouth High School) 130-0; Samantha Andrews (Lincoln High School) 129-4; Kath Merchant (Lebanon High School) 126-4; Krista Stracqualursi (Tewksbury Memorial High School) 120-3;
- High Jump - Ju Jordahl-henry (Wellesley High School) 5-7; Jessy Iwuala (Milton High School) 5-5; Mia Herling (Pelham High School) 5-5; Zoe Dainton (Hingham High School) 5-5; Madison Mcmahon (East Longmeadow High School) 5-5; Elizabeth Lodge (Manchester High School) 5-5;
- Javelin - Shira Stoller (Unattached ,Ma) 148-8; Erin Mcmeniman (Dracut High School) 139-2; Julia Campezato (Unattached ,Ma) 131-2; Sophie Gatzounas (South Hadley High School) 129-1; Kiara Lopez (Platt High School) 121-11; Kath Merchant (Lebanon High School) 121-8;
- Long Jump - Lauren Eddy (Grafton High School) 18-1; Katya Levasseur (Manchester Central) 18-0.75; Saige Tudisco (Unattached ,Ma) 17-11; Erica Marriott (North Haven High School) 17-10.25; Kiara Smith (Johathan Law High School) 17-7.5; Dominique Biron (Bow High School) 17-6.5;
- Pole Vault - Lia Zavattaro (Greenwich High School) 11-9; Megan Biscoglio (Southington High School) 11-9; Danielle Cass (Weston High School) 11-3; Lauren Russo (Newtown High School) 11-3; Bridget Wirtz (Branford High School) 11-3; Audrey Tarbox (Andover High School) 10-9; Kaitlyn Brayman (North Kingstown High School) 10-9;
- Shot Put - Abbie Mokwuah (Longmeadow High School) 46-11; Brittany Jones (Bloomfield High School) 46-0.5; Samantha Stevens (Shelton High School) 40-9.25; Mikaylah Schwartz (Dracut High School) 39-11.5; Samantha Curran (Thornton Academy) 39-9; Cameron Garabian (Seekonk High School) 39-7.75; Amanda Howe (Southington High School) 38-8.5; Kath Merchant (Lebanon High School) 38-5.75; Daija Misler (Hampden Academy) 38-4.75; Kelly Alves (Holliston High School) 38-4; Adelaide Cooke (Falmouth High School) 38-4; Tatiana Wiersma (Whitinsville Christian) 37-7; Maddie Buchalski (St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic School) 37-6.25; Lauryn Gause (Brookfield High School) 37-3.5;
- Triple Jump - Shraeya Srinivasan (Unattached ,Ma) 40-0.25; Adia Cavalier (Bloomfield High School) 38-4; Alexis Daly (Milton High School) 38-0.25; Damahya Phipps (Springfield Central High School) 37-7.5; Bernice Mensah (Worcester Technical High School) 36-6.5; Sade Hankey (Essex High School) 36-3.25; Odessa O'brien (South Burlington) 36-2.25; Oliviah Damboise (Old Town High School) 36-2;
- 100 Meter Dash - Davonte Burnett (Needham High School) 10.48; Donatien Djero (Central High School) 10.54; Donatien Djero (Central High School) 10.49; Mark Doyley (Weaver High School) 10.75; Mark Doyley (Weaver High School) 10.53; Davonte Burnett (Needham High School) 10.79; Smith Charles (Milton High School) 10.77;
- 110 Meter Hurdles - Billy Powers (Winnacunnet High School) 14.09; Billy Powers (Winnacunnet High School) 14.22; Erick Duffy (North Andover High School) 14.24; Erick Duffy (North Andover High School) 14.51;
- 1,600 Meter Run - Ryan Oosting (Arlington High School) 4:11.93; Tyler Marshall (Champlain Valley Union High School) 4:14.62; Zakeer Ahmad (Staples High School) 4:15.07; Chris Polanco (Lowell High School) 4:15.82; Alexander Korczynski (Windham High School) 4:16.15; Luke Laverdiere (Yarmouth High School) 4:17.18; Michael Bortolot (Joel Barlow High School) 4:17.61; Benjamin Matejka (Wellesley High School) 4:17.86; John Hassett (George Stevens Academy) 4:22.58; Anthony Rodriguez (Lowell High School) 4:23.14; Riley Fenoff (Danville High School) 4:24.69;
- 200 Meter Dash - Mark Doyley (Weaver High School) 21.27; Donatien Djero (Central High School) 21.57; Jevin Frett (Manchester High School) 21.77; Ricky Francois (Brighton High School) 21.93;
- 300 Meter Hurdles - Connor Blodgett (William Hall High School) 38.16; Billy Powers (Winnacunnet High School) 38.21; Aren Seeger (Naugatuck High School) 38.26; Evan Porter (Traip Academy) 38.41; Colt Nichols (Portsmouth High School) 39.16; Lucas Alves (Taunton High School) 39.21; Jake Carlson (Billerica Memorial High School) 39.36; Riley Patten (Groton School) 39.39;
- 3,200 Meter Run - Andrew Mah (Newton North High School) 9:10.36; Lucas Aramburu (Brookline High School) 9:13.09; Benjamin Seiple (Staples High School) 9:13.19; David Vorbach (Nashua North High School) 9:14.08; Paul Casavant (Hampden Academy) 9:14.76; Brendan Murray (Cheshire High School) 9:17.42; Drew Thompson (Fairfield Prep High School) 9:18.11; Kevin Wheelock (Melrose High School) 9:24.46; Anshel Isles (Woburn High School) 9:26.91; William Brisman (Fairfield Warde) 9:31.52; Cameron Starr (Pelham High School) 9:32.80; Joseph Dos Reis (La Salle Academy) 9:34.38; Jackson Cronin (East Greenwich High School) 9:37.01;
- 400 Meter Dash - Rodney Agyare-may (Burncoat High School) 47.52; Jevin Frett (Manchester High School) 47.92; Maxwell Veth (Daniel Hand High School) 48.07; Noah Woodman (Pinkerton Academy ) 48.24; Christopher Colbert (Wilton High School) 49.11;
- 4x100 Meter Relay - Bloomfield High School 41.94; Central High School 42.08; Waltham High School 42.21;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Danbury High School 3:17.88; Northampton High School 3:18.04; Mansfield High School 3:18.76; Weston High School 3:20.48; Acton-Boxborough High School 3:21.07; Immaculate High School 3:21.24;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Danbury High School 7:46.97; Lowell High School 7:48.76; East Bridgewater High School 7:49.95; Marshfield High School 7:53.81; Bishop Hendricken High School 7:54.84; Acton-Boxborough High School 8:00.36; East Catholic High School 8:04.44; Keene High School 8:04.46; Masuk High School 8:06.50; New Milford High School 8:08.97; Burlington High School 8:09.81;
- 800 Meter Run - Tyler Gleen (Trumbull High School) 1:51.34; Noah Bellomo (Alvirne High School) 1:52.77; Josh Bedard (Tolland High School) 1:53.74; Theo Burba (Newton North High School) 1:54.25; Shawn Carlson (Bishop Fenwick High School) 1:54.38; Nick Fitch (Norwich Free Academy) 1:54.50; Tyler Marshall (Champlain Valley Union High School) 1:54.77; Ben Ruffing (Joel Barlow High School) 1:54.87; Ryan Prenosil (Westfield High School) 1:55.29; Jonathan Allard (Keene High School) 1:55.51; Aaron Breene (Wilton High School) 1:55.65; Devin Connell (Andover High School) 1:55.66; Jack Perreault (North Kingstown High School) 1:55.68; Ben Steeves (Bonny Eagle High School) 1:55.89; Tim Zepf (Trinity High School) 1:57.09; Mars Bishop (Barrington High School) 1:57.14; Zachary Meier (Messalonskee High School) 1:57.42; Mitch Libby (Wells High School) 1:57.82;
- Discus - Jake Koffman (Orono High School) 190-1; Austin Lufkin (Brewer High School) 183-8; Jacob Mccluskey (Brewer High School) 174-5; Derek Jacobs (Westerly High School) 159-11; Brodie Talbot (St. Johnsbury Academy) 159-2; Matt Brady (Biddeford High School) 154-3; Mekhi Barnett (Westhill High School) 153-11; Chris Chaisson (Unattached ,Ma) 152-0;
- High Jump - Danny Renwick (Old Rochester Regional High School) 6-9; Augustus Karweh (Central High School) 6-7; Jacob Kelly (Longmeadow High School) 6-7;
- Javelin - Flynn Mitchell (West Boylston High School) 178-8; Andrew Jaworski (Tolland High School) 177-1; Mark Porter (Reading Memorial High School) 176-4;
- Long Jump - Smith Charles (Milton High School) 23-4.5; Safir Scott (Greenwich High School) 23-1.5; Cayden Spencer-Thompson (Mattanawcook Academy) 23-0.75; Jake Larovera (Seymour High School) 22-6.5; Dommoy Ennis (Killingly High School) 22-6.5;
- Pole Vault - Erick Duffy (North Andover High School) 16-4.75; Travis Snyder (Thornton Academy) 15-3; Marc Deluca (Westhill High School) 15-3; Scott Rathbun (Keene High School) 14-9; Devon Mcshane (Daniel Hand High School) 14-9; Silvian Popusoi (Greenfield High School) 14-3; Milan Spisek (Joel Barlow High School) 14-3; Terrence Cook (Simsbury High School) 14-3; Patrick Bell (South Windsor High School) 14-3;
- Shot Put - Matt Brady (Biddeford High School) 64-3.75; Jake Koffman (Orono High School) 59-0; Austin Lufkin (Brewer High School) 57-5.75; Manny Teo (Marlborough High School) 54-7; Jason Montano (Thornton Academy) 53-9.75; Ed Radzion (Shelton High School) 51-11.5; Nathaniel Klein (Newton North High School) 51-7.25;
- Triple Jump - Triston Delicema (Nashua North High School) 48-1.5; Cayden Spencer-Thompson (Mattanawcook Academy) 47-8.5; Michael Mecha (Boston College High School) 46-10; Elie Kalambayi (Unattached ,Ma) 46-6.75; Safir Scott (Greenwich High School) 46-4.75; Michael Pichay (Boston College High School) 45-7; Jake Larovera (Seymour High School) 45-2;